PROFILE OF THE WORKS DEPARTMENT
The Works Department of the Obuasi Municipal Assembly plays a crucial role in ensuring the development, maintenance, and management of public infrastructure within the municipality. Committed to enhancing the quality of life for residents and promoting sustainable growth, the department is responsible for overseeing various aspects of infrastructure planning, construction, and maintenance.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE WORKS DEPARTMENT
The Second Schedule of the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936) established the Obuasi Municipal Assembly Works Department by amalgamating the then Public Works Department, Feeder Roads Department, Water and Sanitation Unit of the Assembly and Rural Housing Unit under One Head titled Head of the Works Department.
Strategic Overview of the Works Department
The Department is guided by the following principles in delivery of its functions:
The Works Department envisions a well-planned, well-maintained, and resilient infrastructure that supports sustainable development, enhances the quality of life, and fosters economic prosperity for the residents of Obuasi Municipality.
To improve the living standards of the citizenry by striving to create and maintain safe, functional, cost effective, and sustainable infrastructure to meet the evolving needs of the Communities through effective Stakeholder collaboration in an environmentally sustainable manner.
Specific objectives of the Works Department.
- To ensure an integrated and harmonized infrastructural development in the Municipality.
- To create synergy among work-related activities.
- To ensure effective, efficient and sustainable service delivery that gives value for money.
- To provide technical services for all works related activities.
- To maintain public works infrastructure
- To prevent the creation of slums and to upgrade existing slums.
- To develop a maintenance plan for public infrastructure in a coordinated and sustainable manner.
- Infrastructure Planning and Development:
- Conducting comprehensive infrastructure assessments and developing Architectural and Structural plans for infrastructure projects.
- Collaborating with relevant stakeholders to ensure the alignment of infrastructure development in line with municipal goals and regulations.
- Engaging in long-term infrastructure planning to accommodate future growth and urbanization.
Construction and Project Management:
- Overseeing the implementation of infrastructure projects, including water and streetlight services, drainage systems, and public buildings.
- Managing project timelines, budgets, and quality control to ensure efficient and effective project delivery.
- Strengthen collaboration and coordination between the works department and relevant stakeholders, including government agencies, local communities, private sector entities, and international organizations, to foster partnerships and leverage resources for infrastructure development.
- Engaging with contractors, consultants, and other stakeholders to ensure compliance.
- Enhancing the capacity of the works department to engage in strategic infrastructure planning, conducting feasibility studies, and prioritizing projects based on national development goals, economic viability, and social impact.
- Promoting transparency and integrity within the works department by establishing mechanisms to prevent corruption, such as implementing a robust procurement process, and enforcing strict ethical standards.
Maintenance and Rehabilitation:
- Developing and implementing maintenance programs for existing infrastructure assets.
- Conducting regular inspections and assessments to identify repair and rehabilitation needs.
- Prioritizing maintenance activities to ensure the optimal performance and longevity of infrastructure.
Public Engagement and Customer Service:
- Promoting transparency, accountability, and community involvement in infrastructure-related decision-making processes.
- Addressing public inquiries, concerns, and complaints related to infrastructure development and maintenance.
- Providing timely and reliable information to the public regarding ongoing and upcoming projects.
- Enhancing public awareness and engagement in infrastructure development initiatives through effective communication strategies, fostering a sense of ownership and participation.
Pre-Building Permit Acquisition:
- Conducting feasibility studies and structural assessment for the proposed project.
- Providing guidance and information to applicants regarding building codes, regulations, requirements and safety standards.
- Conducting site inspections and assessments to verify the suitability of the proposed construction site.
Post-Building Permit Acquisition:
- Conducting regular inspections during the construction process to monitor compliance with approved plans and regulations.
- Addressing any non-compliance issues and ensuring necessary corrective actions are taken.
- Reviewing and approving modifications or changes to the original building plans, if applicable.
- Verifying that the completed construction meets all safety and quality standards.
- Issuing certificates of occupancy or habitation upon satisfactory inspection and compliance verification
Professional Progression/ Staff Appraisal:
- Building skilled and qualified workforce within the works department through recruitment, training, and professional development programs that enhance technical expertise and project management capabilities.
- Utilizing modern technology and digital tools to streamline processes within the works department for project monitoring, data management, communication that improve efficiency and decision-making.
- Conducting research and exploring innovative approaches for sustainable infrastructure development.
- Identifying areas for professional competencies by conducting regular evaluations and assessments of staff performance and implementing corrective measures.
In going through these activities, the works department in Obuasi Municipal will be well-positioned to contribute to the country’s infrastructure development goals, facilitate economic growth, improve the quality of life for citizens, and attract investments and opportunities for sustainable development.
Overall, the activities of the Works Department of Obuasi Municipal Assembly align with its objectives of efficient infrastructure planning, construction, maintenance, and management. Through these efforts, the department contributes to the well-being and development of the community, ensuring the provision of quality infrastructure and improving living conditions.